It is no secret that bakeries, frozen yogurt, and specialty sweet shops are opening up in unprecedented numbers world wide. What used to be an afterthought on restaurant menus, dessert, is now a major market in the restaurant industry.
The Next Idea [Los Angeles based Restaurant Consultants],has developed countless dessert recipes that showcase everything from traditional tastes to modernist techniques.
We predict the next wave of dessert trends hitting restaurant menus to be a hybrid of nostalgic flavors and contemporary presentation. Culinary terms like deconstructed, reconstructed, and molecular gastronomy will no longer be limited to the savory side of menu development.
What better way to highlight dramatically avant garde dessert formats than by using retro recipes? Below an American classic, the milkshake, reinvented into an elegant pot de crème. All the flavors of a creamy strawberry milkshake can be enjoyed in one spoonful, guaranteed not to melt! This recipe is complete with whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles for added whimsy.
The custard can be made ahead of time, so it is perfect for entertaining. Serve this surprising dessert to guests at your next dinner party for all the fun of a milkshake and none of the fuss of a noisy blender.
Strawberry Milkshake Pot de Crème
1 cup fresh strawberries, stems removed and smashed
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
½ cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
6 egg yolks
1) In a large sauce pan, add milk, cream, and smashed strawberries.
2) Bring mixture to simmer and allow strawberries to infuse the milk and cream mixture.
3) While strawberry cream mixture is simmering, whisk together vigorously sugar and egg yolks in a mixing bowl until light and frothy.
4) Slowly add strawberry cream to egg mixture, whisking constantly to make sure eggs do not curdle.
5) Add vanilla extract and strain mixture.
6) Pour mixture into 4 ramekins, mason jars, or any oven safe serving dish.
7) In a 350 degree oven, bake ramekins in a water bath covered with foil for 30-45 minutes or until custard is just set.
8) Remove from oven and chill completely.
9) Serve cold with a dollop of whipped cream, rainbow sprinkles, and a few sliced fresh strawberries.